Thursday 19 September 2013

Kindle and eBook tactics

So number three on my list of why you should self publish was because there's the potential to earn lots of money - if you're creative, resourceful and hardworking.

Even switching from a full time job to part time and still getting up at the crack of dawn, I am majorly struggling to make progress on my four-book saga. Life just keeps getting in the way. If I could shut myself behind closed doors for an indefinite period of time, I would jump at the opportunity.

I won't be earning any money from my saga any time soon!

Enter a much needed idea to make use of the writing and blogging I am doing (and completing) - and earn from it.

One article I read today suggested working on content for eBooks for half an hour a day. The priority is to get them up on Amazon and exploit the popularity of the Kindle, then branch out with formats for other eReaders.

A big stumbling block I have in the back of my mind is the length, but seriously, an eBook can be any length.

Some ideas for an eBook where the material may already be written and just needs tweaking:

  • Your best blog posts on a particular topic
  • A complete blog series you've written
  • A collection of tips and tricks
  • A collection of poetry / short stories / articles
  • A transcription of an interview

The last one caught my imagination. I remember my older sister interviewing my great aunty who's now passed about living through the World Wars. I came across the transcript the other day and thought what a waste it would be not to capture these amazing historical memories somehow.

And of course, all the practice in formatting, promotion and sales techniques you'll acquire from putting up short works will better equip you when it comes to the main event!

No comments:

Post a Comment