Tuesday 14 January 2014

Self motivation

After my last post on simplifying (I want to say life but that sounds monumental and scary, so we'll settle with things), I thought it best to give some advice on how to become more self motivated to get the simplifying done.

First and foremost, you've got to stay focused
on one thing at a time, and while you're focusing on that, stick with it and don't do anything else.

This leads nicely into my second bit of advice to be careful with how you reward yourself. It's OK to promise yourself something once you're finished, but don't start thinking more about the reward than the actual task itself. Kind of defeats the whole object really.

Think about what you're going to achieve from the job / chore / task. Use that positive thought to spur you on.

Take pride in what you're doing and do it to the best of your ability. It will make you feel good about yourself, I promise!

And finally, spend the time on the things you enjoy. I keep saying this, but it is so important. If I do a day of chores and don't do any writing, that's a wasted day to me and I feel really downbeat. Even just an hour of writing slotted in somewhere would make all the difference to my mood.

No comments:

Post a Comment