Monday 27 January 2014

Practicing Yoga and Pilates

Photo credit Shutterstock
Don't knock something until you've tried it...

I remember signing up to my first Yoga class and not really expecting any great impact to my mind and body. I was intrigued, but not convinced.

There are many types of Yoga and Pilates and I have no idea which I practice. For some people that's important, but I'm just a novice trying to put some calm back into my day.

What Yoga and Pilates does for you is slow everything down through breathing control and holding poses that stretch out your body. We crash and bang through Life, some days barely knowing where the hours disappear to because we're so preoccupied with all the things we must get done to ensure the day is a success. Add to that a mind that won't shut down and a bad back from hunching and crunching at a computer for hours on end... Does this sound like you?

On a good day I'll practice for an hour, but even 15 minutes can be beneficial. When you start to concentrate on your breathing and on your stretching, it pulls you into the present moment and holds you there. I find myself calming down as my mind and body get re-acquainted with each other. I make better decisions and I start listening to myself. That sounds weird, but the constant noise of Life naturally bombards and influences our choices and reactions to things and wants get easily confused with needs.

I often wondered what it meant to "centre yourself" and what that state would feel like. Practicing Yoga and Pilates regularly will help you get there and it's pretty great for energising your mind right before a writing session.

No comments:

Post a Comment