Wednesday 7 October 2015

The journey starts in Langcliffe

So, I'm settling back into normal rhythm and routine after an incredible month spent in Canada with my family... and remember I told you my mum and her friend were making a trip to Yorkshire in September... well here's the story of their journey. And this is all new territory for me because I've never visited this part of the country.

In total they covered 1,000 miles over the course of 8 days and even took the train to Carlisle on the border with Scotland. They were based in Langcliffe near Settle and travelled to Wensleydale, Haworth, York, Windermere, Kendal, Lancaster, Molden and Skipton.

I admit to being a teeny bit jealous due to my literary interests; the Parsonage at Haworth, West Yorkshire, was the lifelong home of the Brontë family, and Lake Windermere and Kendal were favourite haunts of Nella Last and are mentioned frequently in her diaries. I like to visit where my literary idols resided. Being inside Shakespeare's house in Stratford-upon-Avon was a magical moment when I was just 16 and, of course, you know how I feel about living in Jane Austen country. Along with Austen's Classics, Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë and Jane Eyre by her sister, Charlotte, are two stories I could devour over and over. 
Picture
The Yorkshire Dales / Road to Molden
Picture
View from the Cottage, Langcliffe Green
Picture
The Cottage
Picture
Inside the Cottage

No comments:

Post a Comment