Friday 14 June 2013

Blogging conundrum

So I've been blogging for a while over on Weebly and recently decided that I wanted all of my content to filter out from one source (my website) to keep things more manageable, but I was still left with a blogging conundrum - should I have a Blogger blog, or not?

 
My reasons to have one:

It integrates nicely with some of my favourite writing and travel related blogs

Greater exposure

Top SEO

 
My reasons against:

Weebly blog is well established and I want all of my content to feed from my website out to various social media streams

Having another blog in another location to look after will be too much to maintain

 
However, I have noticed some distinct disadvantages with Weebly blogs as follows:

You can't copy or save an archive of your blog posts to any where. So, you will not be able to migrate. If you need to move to Blogger or WordPress, you have to manually copy and paste all of your posts and comments.

There are no post tags. Post tags tell precisely what the post is about in five or six words and search engines give priority to them, treating them as subjects rather than words. With the post tag facility absent in Weebly, it leaves your blog posts treated as generic content.


Thinking about all of the pros and cons above, I finally decided to have a Weebly blog and a Blogger blog and to copy and paste my Weebly content to Blogger. It's definitely not efficient, but it's an adequate compromise for now. I reasoned it was better to be a part of the growing Google social media network, than to miss out altogether.

No comments:

Post a Comment