Sunday 29 March 2015

The Curvy Girls Club by Michele Gorman


I'm enjoying reading on my Kindle so, now that my Goodreads challenge for 2014 has finished, I decided to try some easy going Chick Lit on a subject matter close to my heart. I was also intrigued to see that there was in fact a Curvy Girls Club in real life.

The story is about four women battling with their weight. After one particular meeting at Slimming World, they decide to start a new club - one where you can feel good in your own skin whatever your size and shape. And so The Curvy Girls Club is born, but in business rarely do things go smoothly and the lines become even more tangled and distorted when you start to disagree with your friends - who are also your business partners.

In terms of the writing style, it's lighthearted, enjoyable and gives the story an ebb and flow that kept me turning the pages. I love the fact it's set in London and I understand all of the references to places and people. 

Despite being Chick Lit, the book covers important questions like: Is teasing a woman for being too thin as damaging as teasing a woman who is too fat? Where do you draw the line when trying to lose weight? Are certain employers for certain companies justified in requiring a person to look a certain way before they hire them? And then there's the whole can of worms regarding self esteem...

No comments:

Post a Comment