Monday 1 July 2013

The 10 jobs of a modern day writer

When I began my publishing journey a few years ago I thought all I had to do was write and if I did it well enough I would be famous all over the world.

I loved my ignorance back then!

I learned in one day that there was so much more to it than that. I think it took about four hours for my dream to be blown apart.

To succeed in today's industry you've got to wear nine additional hats to the hat of being a writer. Pretty scary eh when all you thought you had to do was write!

So in no particular order, here are my 10 jobs of a modern day writer:

Writer - first and foremost this is what you set out to be. Always fall back on the writing (if everything else I'm about to tell you overwhelms you) because this is where you'll earn.

Administrator - to keep track of bills, payments and expenses for tax purposes.

Accountant - to file the tax return.

Editor - to be a great writer you need to be an expert at stringing the best words and sentences together with a minimum of spelling and grammar mistakes.

Researcher - to get beyond Wikipedia information and dig for the real facts.

Negotiator - to get the best rates for your super duper writing.

Marketeer - to build your brand as a writer and make you visible to potential opportunities.

Speaker - to share the industry with others.

Advocate - to sing your praises and to sing those of your fellow writers too. Word of mouth is such a powerful tool! Also for rights, payment, treatment and helping each other with all the different aspects of being a writer.

Networker - to connect and recommend.

No comments:

Post a Comment