Friday 26 July 2013

The book launch

Ah the coveted book launch... just thinking about it puts a smile on my face. I never got round to organising one for my debut novel, but I'd love to do one some day. Maybe for the next book...

Everybody is talking about Goodreads, so take a look at their author program which I shall be signing up for shortly. Here you can promote you, your book and your launch - and more importantly, build your fan base block by block. I also like the fact you can share your favourite books and what you're currently reading, so it's a two-way portrayal - you the author and you the reader. And you can link your existing blog to your author profile keeping things very streamlined.

Now onto organising a book launch. I'm no expert but I've found some helpful advice to share with you today:
  • Choose a date, time and venue appropriate to your book. You wouldn't hold a launch for your children's novel in the evening for example.
  • Theme or no theme? If your book has a clear theme that can easily be used, go for it, but don't make it compulsory to dress up.
  • Design and send out personalised invitations to everyone you know - whether by post or email - whichever suits.
  • Order the books with plenty of time to spare.
  • Advertise in the local paper.
  • Write a catching press release and send to the local media.
  • Organise some simple catering - welcome drink, nibbles.
  • Have a little speech prepared.
  • And a raffle or competition - with an enticing prize...
  • Turn up and dazzle!

No comments:

Post a Comment