Saturday 13 June 2015

Trip sickness

In 15 years of travel, this was my first trip where I didn't get sick. If I felt myself going that way, it was usually because I hadn't drunk enough water that day, so I made sure to drink a couple of bottles asap and rehydrate with some ready salted crisps. This is easy to do in hot and humid climates because perspiring so much reminds you that you need to replace the salt and fluid.

I also swear by coca cola; every few days I have a glass when travelling. There's a raging debate about whether it's actually beneficial for stomach troubles, but I always find it helps settle everything down.

I got up-to-date with all of my vaccinations about a month before the tour, which meant I didn't get ill from any of those. If anything, it was the Malerone that caused me many side effects. I got a mouthful of ulcers, skin rash, swollen ankles and feet, and terrible sunburn even when using Factor 30. I think this anti-malarial makes your skin very tender and vulnerable.

No comments:

Post a Comment