Wednesday 17 June 2015

Waking up to a new day

I read an illustration recently about holding a glass. You can hold a glass for a minute and it's fine. You can hold a glass for an hour and your arm starts to ache. Holding the glass for even longer and you're probably going to get cramp. The glass represents the stresses and struggles of daily life. The moral of the story is - you have to remember to take a break by putting the glass down.

Do you ever have the time to lie in bed for a few minutes before getting up to think about the day ahead? The average day can drag and yet, be over in a flash. Do you fall into bed at night and wonder where the hours went and how it all just seemed a blur?

Working from home means my day can start a lot slower. I say I'm a morning person, but then I don't function until I've had two cups of coffee and watched some comedy and / or sitcoms. Then I have a leisurely breakfast. That's how I wake up happy. If I was commuting to an office, it would be completely different (from previous experience). I'd rush my coffee, skip breakfast and there would be no happy TV kick starting my day. I literally used to roll out of bed "work focused", which was good, but then I never gave myself any quiet time. And believe me, it catches up with you as the years tick by!

I stumbled across this article "10 Things You Should Do Every Day Before 10AM" and was pleased to see some of the things I do (while I can) included in there.

Sit and experience the quiet - I love my thinking and planning time.

Being grateful and smiling enables you to build your resilience to challenges and put any drama into perspective.

Hydrating and stretching. That first morning stretch is divine.

Cleaning up as you go along. I'm a strong believer in tidy desk / office / kitchen = tidy mind. I can't move forward if I know I need to do some tidying up first.

No comments:

Post a Comment