Friday 1 May 2015

Apps and packing

Getting through the jet lag one snooze at a time...

Just about a month ago my Facebook status read:

"Ahhhhhh 7 days to go (and 1 until I fly) but already loving the G Adventures offline app, so I can pick the stuff I want to do as we go along the tour. Nice!"

and later...

"Trying to pack for all weathers and seasons is quite a challenge."

I remember my taxi coming at 5am for me on April 2nd and I was literally taking stuff out of my case and out of my back pack right up until that point. After having a few hours kip and "sleeping on it", I still didn't get it quite right for Central America (Canada thumbs up), but more on that later.

I fall in and out of love with apps - and also because I keep filling up my iPhone memory. However, I did download the G Adventures app which gave me some of the options for activities on a daily basis. Very handy although it wasn't inclusive and my written trip notes had much more information on. And yes, I still travel with paper.

For my flight from Toronto to San Jose, Costa Rica, I also downloaded the Air Canada Rouge in flight entertainment app. as per their instructions. They don't have screens on the backs of the seats; instead you watch on your smartphone or tablet and you can rent an iPad for 10 dollars for the duration of the flight.
I thought that was reasonable for a 5 1/2 hour flight. It works off of wireless and you keep your phone on "in-flight" mode. There's quite a range of programs to watch and you can pay extra if you want to see the very latest movies. There was enough in the free section to keep me occupied. An interesting idea anyway. That was the first flight where I'd experienced something like this.  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment